Philip Baker frequently provides counsel, advice and litigation defense to employers on employment matters, including FMLA, retaliatory discharge, discrimination, harassment and workers’ compensation. Mr. Baker also provides general employment advice related to personnel and other issues, including leave, wages and disciplinary actions. He represents a variety of packaging and manufacturing industries, including clients in the food processing, transportation and delivery industries. He also counsels medical professionals, including physicians, optometrists, and dentists, related to start-up, practice transition, and practice management issues.
Mr. Baker conducts training on topics such as maintaining a drug free workplace, anti-harassment training and general employment practices. He is a frequent speaker on the full spectrum of employment topics and issues, appearing at local events and presenting at clients’ facilities and offices.
Formerly a shareholder with Baker Donelson Bearman Caldwell and Berkowitz in its Tri-Cities office, Mr. Baker is a founding member of Ensley, Baker & Shade, PLLC.
Professional Honors & Activities
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in Mid-South Rising Stars For Employment Litigation, 2011-2012
- Named to The Business Journal of Tri-Cities TN/VA’s Top 40 Under 40, 2010
- Member – Society of Human Resources Management (SHRM)
- Member – Rotary International
- Board Member – CASA of Northeast Tennessee
- Graduate of Morristown Chamber Leadership Program, 2005
- Past Member – Morristown Industrial Development Committee
- Past Board Member – New Hope Recovery Center
- Past Board Member – Hamblen County Habitat for Humanity
- Past Chair of the Staff Parish Relations Committee at Munsey Memorial United Methodist Church
- Eagle Scout
- Tennessee, 2002
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Tennessee, 2004
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2010
- University of Memphis, Cecil C. Humphries School of Law, J.D., 2002
- University of Tennessee, B.S. (Chemistry), B.A.(Political Science), 1997